Fuchs und Hase
This Article Contains
Exclusively Pet-Nats from the coolest sites in Kamptal, from one set of bubble lovers to another
Langenlois, Village of Merschein
- Opposing weather patterns meet here. Cold air comes down from the north and west and is buffeted by hot gusts from the east across the Pannonian plain in Hungary.
- Tanzer vineyard in Langenlois, primarily rock soil
- Others vineyards: Soil is loess with calcareous inclusions, and clay
Zweigelt, Cabernet Sauvignon, Müller Thurgau, Grüner Veltliner, Sauvignon Blanc, Gelber Muskateller, Welschriesling, Riesling.
- spontaneous fermentation with wild yeast
- Co-fermentation of different varieties
- Skin contact of varying length of time, depending on the grapes used and what the vintage brings
- no fining, no filtering
- Very low (<10 mg/l sulfur) added at bottling, or none at all
This little Pet-Nat project was started by best friends Stefanie and Alwin Jurtschitsch and Martin and Anna Arndorfer for the sole purpose of producing delicious bubbly wines! Nothing but Pet-Nat, will be found at this micro winery where the four come together to celebrate the joy wine brings us all. Only 1,500 cases spread across 5-7 cuvées are produced annually, so supplies are limited.
What are the wines like?
They are complex sparkling wines, with crunchy fruit, slightly yeasty, with just enough skin contact for velvet tannins to glide across your palate. Minerality comes through from the well grapes, with prickly bubbles, lifted acidity and a touch of haze. After tasting through the line up at vieVinum last year, I could only describe them as “happiness in a bottle”.
Wines on Offer |
Fuchs und Hase, Pet Nat Volume 1, 2021